FOLLOWERS

Friday 11 November 2011

Remembrance Day

Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day Or Armistice Day) is a memorial day observed in the Commonwealth countires since the end of World War I to remember and pay respects to the many members of their armed forces who had died in the line of duty. Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the offical end of the World War I on that date in 1918, hostilities offically ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. 

The red remembrance poppy has become a tradition of Remembrace Day due to the poem 'In Flanders Fields'. Thes poppies grew across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in the war, their red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war.

Remembrance Day is close to my heart as we remember all whose who lost their lives, losing a family member myself. Remembrance Day is the one day a year we can all really think about what those men fighting did for us all today.

I always buy a poppy to wear with pride remembering those who paid for our freedom.


Flanders Fields



3 comments:

  1. My husband is in the Army and doing a parade today.
    I think its disguisting that some shops have banned poppies.

    Holli x
    Dragonmommy123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Does him being in the army ever worry you? My dad, uncle and cousin was in the army, im glad they left! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get a poppy, my brother was training to be a raf gunner at 17, so glad he left before he got sent away. Why have some shops banned them? That is evil.x

    ReplyDelete